- English Tutor & Writing Coach
I have six years of private tutoring experience and am currently accepting new students.
My Unique Qualifications
- University tutoring experience: work as a Teaching Assistant for UBC Creative Writing department, including facilitating TA training and leading a seminar, as well as completed 550+ hours of tutoring as a Peer Writing Tutor at the UBC Writing Centre
- High school tutoring experience: Former Tutor and Teaching Assistant at Pinetree Secondary School, received the English Department Award
- Bilingual: can teach in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Writing background: published writer with work in Business Insider, Matador Network, Asian Traveler Magazine, The Tyee, and other publications
- Education: Current UBC Master’s student, have a Bachelor’s in Creative Writing from UBC, studied abroad at the University of Edinburgh
Format & Rates
I offer tutoring sessions primarily at UBC libraries and coffee shops, as well as via Skype/WeChat/email. I may also be able to offer tutoring at other public locations like the Vancouver Public Library by special arrangement.
The tuition rate is only:
- Discount available for students taking classes as a group. Email me for details.
What I Can Help You With
- Literature Study (grades 6-12, university level, provincial exams, SAT, AP, GRE, etc.)
- English Language Tests (LPI, TOEFL, IELTS, LEAP, ACT, etc.)
- Essay Feedback
- Application Feedback
- English Skills
- Business Writing
- Creative Writing
My Teaching Philosophy
- Passion: I’m passionate about writing, teaching, and helping you excel.
- Personal: I enjoy getting to know my students and will design personalized sessions to suit their interests.
- Practice: My lessons incorporate deliberate practice, a type of practice that has been proven to be effective developing skills.
- Email me at yilinw[at]gmail.com for a free email/phone consultation to discuss your tutoring needs.
- Email subject line: “Tutoring” and your name
- Please include a brief note about what you need help with and any questions you have.